Pagina's

Friday, April 17, 2015

Book review: A Passionate Love Affair With a Total Stranger by Lucy Robinson


Author Lucy Robinson
Title A Passionate Love Affair With a Total Stranger
Page Count 434
Published January 31st 2013 by Penguin Books Ltd

Find Amazon | Goodreads


While I was browsing the aisles of a quaint little bookshop, or rather the great world of the internet, I came across this book and eventhough it sounded increadibly cheesy I decided to take the plunge anyway. So confession time, I was extreamly surprised by the book and author.


Charley Lambert has put considerable effort into achieving a perfect life. She has The Job. The Wardrobe. And The Flat. Her womanising, junk food-loving housemate Sam lowers the tone a bit but that aside, things are peachy.

Then she breaks her leg in three places, watches her unrequited love propose to someone else and - worst of all - is forced to hand over her job to her nasty deputy while she recovers. Workaholic Charley fears that she will soon go mad.

Desperate for something to do, she discovers her talent for helping the lovelorn online. And then William arrives in her inbox. Within hours of his first email, her world starts to change. Helpless, she watches herself fall in love with this man and begins to realise that she's not who she thought she was.

But will she be brave enough to turn her back on her old life - all for a total stranger? 


It was the first time I had picked up any of Lucy Robinson's books and I came to really love her writing style. I was snickering along while reading the book, and the breezy but consuming writing kept me turning the pages at lightning speed. I found the pace really enjoyable, very upbeat, if a little fast but with the well-planned plot it worked out great. The plot was more complex than I had initially predicted. A certain plot twist had me gasping outloud.

I really loved the main character Charley, primarily because I could really relate to her. Although I don't have the highbrow job, nor the amazing apartment, granted I have an acceptable wardrobe. Despite all that, what I could really relate to was her perfectionism. The need to have everything go the way you planned, to always be on the straight and narrow. At the end of the novel she learns to let go, this gave great insight into how liberating and freeing that must feel, and it inspired me to maybe let go a bit more.

I really enjoyed the topics this book brought to attention. Such as online dating, I can imagine how terrifying and exhilarating that must be. Also being a ghost-writer how fun would that be. I, too liked the family and friend relationships she has in her life, especially that with her unkempt and slightly scruffy housemate Sam. Although he was a womanizer and not the most conventional housemate, he was very sweet and caring towards Charley when she had her accident and broke her leg. Deep down he truly has a golden heart.


Overall, the book was very enjoyable. It was everything you would expect from a chick lit, it was hilariously funny, adorably romantic, very light and breezy, and slightly quirky. I loved it and read it in one go, also I will be sure to check out other works from Lucy Robinson. A total winner in my books. I would recommend it if you like light and romantic love stories that make you feel all the feels.



No comments:

Post a Comment