Pagina's

Friday, April 3, 2015

Movie Review: Still Alice

Title Still Alice
Release December 5th 2014
Directed by Wash Westmoreland, Richard Glatzer
Duration 101 minutes
Cast Julianne Moore, Kristen Steward, Alec Baldwin, Kate Bosworth, Hunter Parrish
Genre Drama

Find trailer 

My mother is a nurse who works with Alzheimer patients. She really wanted to go see the movie and after seeing the trailer I was really intrigued. I am glad I went to see it because it changed the way I am able to relate to patients with Alzheimer's disease.


Dr. Alice Howland is a highly intelligent woman, she teaches at Colombia, has released several textbooks and lectures all over the world. She is also happily married to her husband Dr. John Howland, and together they have 3 children. Alice has just turned 50 when her memory becomes strained, worried she consults a neurologist who diagnoses her with Early-Onset Familial Alzheimer disease. Fast deteriorating Alice finds her family bonds painstakingly tested. This is a heart wrenching, inspiring and quite frightening story about a woman trying to hold onto who she once was.


The movie was remarkable. It gave great insight into how Alzheimer patients deal with their disease and how we sometimes forget that they to are people who have previously lived a full life. I also found it very frightening to see how each time little bits of who Alice was gets ripped away. The most inspiring part of the movie I found was a speech Alice gave at an Alzheimer’s conference, I thought it gave great insight into how Alzheimer's patients feel, and experience their disease.

I was kind of disappointed about two things. First I found the character Dr. John Howland extremely disappointing. It was heartbreaking that after a great marriage he wasn't able to stand with his wife in her time of need. He kept leaving on trips and burying himself in tons of work. Even though it was disappointing it is probably how more people deal with a loved one having Alzheimer's disease, they can't or don't want to understand. What I also found quite disappointing was the ending, I won't spoil too much about it but I would have liked a more definite ending. But despite my disappointment at the open ending it was still quite beautiful.

Overall I thought it was a great story, incredibly moving. Also brilliantly played by Julianne Moore, you were literally able to see the light slowly fade from her eyes. I would recommend it to anyone who is touched by Alzheimer's personally or if you like a touch of bitter-sweetness to the movies you watch.



Based on the novel: Still Alice by Lisa Genova

No comments:

Post a Comment